Friday, December 6, 2013

One Year, 100 Albums: #59 The Weakerthans - Reconstruction Site



The Weakerthans Reconstruction Site, 2003

I'm not entirely sure how I came to own this album, honestly. I remember asking for it for Christmas? I remember listening to it in Virginia Beach during the Christmas season. It came out in August of that year, so that would have been Christmas of Junior Year of College. Weird. I would have bet money that this was another SYoC find.

This whole album feels like a fantastic book of short stories. The songs are individually wonderful and diverse and eclectic, but you feel like there's a theme or an explanation lying right underneath the surface. Repeated musical themes and things like that give hints but never end up offering any answers. Despite that, you feel satisfied when it's over. Like you do after a filling, subtle meal prepared by a master chef.
Here's a video for the first song on the album that was my favorite.



And here are two songs that I would eventually realize the genius of, but really I could have picked any two songs from this album. It's a strong album. Maybe it's the 1:15 AM talking, but this maybe should have been higher on the list. It's such a fantastic album.

The Weakerthans - Plea From a Cat Named Virtue
The Weakerthans - (Hosptial Vespers) (This should have probably made my recent "Most Favorites" mix. It's so simple, but so beautiful and heartbreaking.)

You can buy Reconstruction Site at Amazon, Amazon MP3, and iTunes

OR You could get a copy from me! For whatever reason, I have an extra CD of this album. If you would like me to send it to you, free of charge! Just write me an email at aodblog@gmail.com with the subject "AOD Giveaway" and your address enclosed and I'll send it right out to you. First person to get an email to me, wins

No comments: