Wednesday, December 11, 2013

One Year, 100 Albums: #58 Allister - Last Stop Suburbia


Allister Last Stop Suburbia, 2002

The way it must have happened is: We moved from Northern Virginia (where I spent 7th through 12th grades, made all my friends, and became the person I am today) to Virginia Beach in the Summer of 2002. The first night down there, we stayed in a hotel. I went and watched Halloween: Resurrection by myself in a nearly empty theater that I'd never been to before (and thus was terrified to go to the bathroom for fear of my inevitable murder), and I bought Allister's Dead Ends & Girlfriends and Strung Out's Suburban Teenage Wasteland Blues. I listened to them both on the scratchy hotel bed while the summer sun blazed away outside. The Strung Out album was amazing. And the Allister album? It had a couple of good songs on it, too.

I drove myself back to school that Fall. The drive was longer and lonelier, but the arrival was much more satisfying. Finally, I was back in a place that was familiar with people that knew me that I could visit, instead of sitting alone in my room, checking my Buddy List for someone to talk to.

I'd purchased the first Something Corporate EP Audioboxer pretty much solely based on the fact that it came with a Drive-Thru Records sampler that had the new New Found Glory song on it (Sticks and Stones came out that summer. More on that later.). It also had a song from the new Allister album, "Somewhere on Fullerton", on it. Enjoying that song and most of their first album led me to buy Last Stop Suburbia which came out in October (see? we got there eventually!) and, you guys. This album is basically pop-punk perfection. The songs are fast and catchy and fantastic.

It's exactly the kind of album you want to discover and explore as your life starts to come into focus and all the pieces start to fall into place.



Allister - The One That Got Away
Allister - Westbound

You can buy Last Stop Suburbia at Amazon, Amazon MP3, and iTunes

No comments: