Friday, October 4, 2013

One Year, 100 Albums: #77 Alkaline Trio - Goddamnit!


Alkaline Trio Goddamnit!, 1998

This is the album I would hand you if you asked me what kind of music I listened to in college. It skews a little raw and loud and unproduced, but it's nevertheless pretty accurate.

I  love the way that you can almost picture them recording it. I love the fact that, even though it was recorded in 1998, it still has the structure of a vinyl record (5 electric, loud songs and then 1 acoustic song per side (Dan's is on the first side "Enjoy Your Day", Matt's is on the second side "As You Were")) and the lyrics are raw and unbridled. Like the sonic equivalent of tonguing the socket where a tooth used to be, and there's still a little bit of a nerve there.

It should show you how much I like about 75% of this album to tell you that I generally want to skip the first 2 songs and then one song in the middle. The rest of the album is SO fantastic that it makes those weaker songs pale in comparison (though I would like to know the story behind "Cop" because I've never been so angry at a policeman as Matt seems to have been when he wrote it)

The violent imagery IS a little dramatic and maybe if you're coming to this one new, you'll find it to be a little "college open mic night" in terms of the lyrics, but even when they're at their darkest and goriest, I love the way this band turns a phrase on this album.

Here's a video of one of my favorite songs on the album taken from the first DVD I ever bought at a music event (Warped Tour....2002? 2003?) and perhaps the only one since.


Man, I love that song. Here are two more of my favorites from that album

Alkaline Trio - Clavicle
Alkaline Trio - My Little Needle

You can buy Goddamnit! at Amazon MP3 and iTunes

No comments: