Monday, October 7, 2013

Mailbag Monday: Boxed Wine



Cheap, Fun cover art

So, I was going through the songs that came out this year, trying to decide what my top 50 are so that I'm ready for the Festive Fifty longlist vote when I send out that email in a couple of weeks.

Generally, you can tell the stuff that has been funded by a major label, or produced by someone with lots of expensive equipment vs  someone who is not (aka music that I have purchased vs music that I have been sent) but when "First Time" by Boxed Wine came on, my ears caught fire. It was exactly the kind of joyfully executed power-pop that I loved about The Format and Tinted Windows.

The album has 9 more songs that are just as fantastic. I'm frankly surprised that I haven't been seeing blogs posting about these guys all over the place.

You can get their album Cheap, Fun (which is a fantastic title) on a "Pay What You Want" basis, here.

I don't know if I'm going to publish my 50-song longlist or not, but if I do, look for a number of Boxed Wine songs near the top.

No comments: