Wednesday, October 23, 2013

One Year, 100 Albums: #72 My Chemical Romance - Three Cheers For Sweet Revenge

This hole you put me in wasn't deep enough and I'm climbing out right now
My Chemical Romance Three Cheers For Sweet Revenge, 2004

Somehow, Sophomore year in the Spring (that makes it Spring 2003), due to MACRock (all my stories are converging in this one album. Weird), I discovered My Chemical Romance. I listened to their debut album I Brought You My Bullets, You Brought Me Your Love and loved a whole lot of it. There were some parts of that album that gave me chills, some parts that made me throw my fist in the air in triumph, and some parts, frankly, that I tolerated to get to the other parts.

So I think you can imagine my delight when I got this album (it says it was released in June 2004,  but that seems WAY late, but who am I to argue with Wikipedia?) and put it on and there were ONLY good parts. First of all, the story the album told was much clearer. Then, the songs were much more varied and interesting. And finally, the adrenaline triggering parts that I had loved in the previous album were there, only in triplicate.

The vocals are clean and chilling and clever. The music is driving and dynamic. Truly, this is, from start to finish, a masterpiece of dark pop-punk. This was what assured me that this band was going to be huge. So it wasn't a surprise a couple of years later when The Black Parade came out and suddenly, they were these huge rock stars. I knew that they had earned it and that all the praise was valid.

This is the video for the first song I loved on the album.


And this is a video that hinted at what was to come for the band.


I picked these two songs to feature because 1) they're great songs and 2) they have amazing titles.

My Chemical Romance - You Know What They Do To Guys Like Us in Prison
My Chemical Romance - It's Not a Fashion Statement, It's a Fucking Deathwish

You can buy Three Cheers For Sweet Revenge at Amazon, Amazon MP3, and iTunes

No comments: