Wednesday, June 11, 2014

One Year, 100 Albums: #6 The Ataris "End is Forever"



The Ataris End is Forever, 2001

This is, if the list is to be believed, my favorite pop-punk album. And I think that, outside of the list,  it's certainly way up near the top.

I had first heard The Ataris on the Life in the Fat Lane Fat Wreck Chords comp. The song was "San Dimas High School Football Rules" and, if you've ever heard that song, you'll agree, it's one of the greatest pop-punk songs of all times.

So I tracked down the Fat Wreck Chords EP that had that song on it: Look Forward to Failure and I got some songs on Napster and I tracked down the Kung Fu Records album that song on it: Blue Skies, Broken Hearts, Next 12 Exits. And I absorbed it all. All the frustration and longing and anger and humor of being a teenager who was constantly wanting girls but never wanted by them was there.

Then I heard that they had a new album coming soon: End is Forever.

I often think that New Found Glory's Sticks and Stones was the first pop-punk album I ever eagerly anticipated, but that's not entirely right. It was the first album I ever eagerly anticipated with other people.

I eagerly anticipated End is Forever 100% on my own. And that first time I put it in my Discman was GLORIOUS. Actually, I can't think of a time that I've played this album and not been moved. Something about the heartfelt lyrics, fast pace, and clips from Clerks and Good Will Hunting make for a nearly perfect pop-punk experience.




The Ataris - I.O.U. One Galaxy
The Ataris - Fast Times at Drop-out High

You can buy End is Forever at Amazon, Amazon MP3, and iTunes

No comments: