Friday, November 15, 2013

One Year, 100 Albums: #65 Vampire Weekend - Vampire Weekend


Vampire Weekend Vampire Weekend, 2008

This was a band that I'd heard of but never heard. Then I saw the video for "A-Punk" and thought I understood what they were all about. And THEN I saw them play "M79" on SNL and realized that I had been wrong. So I bought the album and finally heard "Cape Cod Kwassa Kwassa" and it all clicked.

The thing is, especially with this album, the comparisons to Graceland are apt. Yet somehow, at least in my opinion, Vampire Weekend has never come off as pretentious or derivative. They do what they do and they do it well. And it shows on this album.

I always feel like all Vampire Weekend music belongs on old cassette tapes. Is that weird?


Vampire Weekend - M79
Vampire Weekend - Cape Cod Kwassa Kwassa

You can buy Vampire Weekend at Amazon, Amazon MP3, and iTunes

No comments: