Friday, November 22, 2013

One Year, 100 Albums: #63 Red Hot Chili Peppers - Blood Sugar Sex Magik



Red Hot Chili Peppers Blood Sugar Sex Magik, 1991

This album is the first part of our Two Part Series (to be concluded on Wednesday) entitled "Man, the early 90's Were Pretty Filthy, Huh?"

It's a famous piece of James Trivia that "Under the Bridge" was the first music video I ever saw. My mom and I laughed at Anthony Kiedis's long hair and shirtlessness, which, though it may have been coming from a rather close-minded place, IS pretty funny if you look at it 22 years later.



I am in no way saying that it's not a fantastic song and an enjoyable video. It's just that they were SO Red Hot Chili Peppers back then. And I suppose they still are now, but AK wears at least, like, a furry vest or a hat in more recent videos.

I like this album because it has so many different tones and emotions all bundled together into one cohesive package. It's the kind of album where (this happened to me the other night) you're listening and really getting into it and it feels like the album must be at least half over and then you realize that you're only nearing the end of Track 3. Out of 17.  Then you get to "Give It Away" and you think, MAN what a great closer to the album. But no. That's only the halfway point.

It's certainly an over-the-top album, but it works so so so well. There was a documentary filmed about the making of the album and it has interviews and studio footage and it's just really in-depth and weird and good. It's called "Funky Monks" so track it down if you can. Oh, what the hell. Here it is in it's entirety. :) (I was gonna give it to you the whole time. I just wanted to build suspense)



So, I mean, yeah. If you watched the whole hour of that as I did, then I would say you should probably pick up this album if you don't own it already. But if you're still on the fence, here are a couple of tracks that bookend the spectrum of what's on this bad boy.

Red Hot Chili Peppers - I Could Have Lied
Red Hot Chili Peppers - Naked in the Rain

You can buy Blood Sugar Sex Magik at Amazon, Amazon MP3, and iTunes

No comments: