Tuesday, May 1, 2012

May 2012 Media Update


Wow. So, when I posted in April I was on furlough and had no prospect of a new place of employment. Today was my second day of work at my new job! Woohoo!


Last Song/MP3 I listened to: Coheed and Cambria "Here We Are Juggernaut". I went to see them on Sunday night with my good friend Riley and I spent yesterday and today re-listening to the songs they played. I figured the best way to do this was to just go to all my Coheed songs and skip the ones they didn't play. So, the iPod has them in alphabetical order by album and I finished listening to them today. The last album that had a song they played was "Year of the Black Rainbow", their latest release. In fact, this was the ONLY song they played from that release. It was a very enjoyable show.

Last TV show I watched: I think that it's so funny how often this blank is populated by Once Upon a Time. It is again this month. Last night we watched the latest episode: "The Stranger" and it was quite enjoyable. This show is far richer and more enjoyable than I thought it would be. And that makes me happy.

Last Movie I watched: I was racking (wracking?) my brains to think of the last movie I watched. I think it must have been Scream 2 on Friday, the 13th. It was available on Netflix and K was already asleep, and I was in the mood for a scary movie. It was good. Slightly better than I remember it. Nothing close to as good as the original, but LOTS better than other movies that came out after the original. Great soundtrack, too.

Last Written Work I read: I have been on a New Yorker kick for the past several weeks. I was in the end of January 2010 probably 2 weeks ago and now I've just finished June. The Fiction from that issue (the last thing I read in an issue of the New Yorker) was called "The Young Painters" and it was by an author named Nicole Krauss. It's an excerpt from her book, Great House. She is one of the 20 under 40 list that the New Yorker debuted in the previous issue. Kind of a cool way of rolling them out. They did 8 authors last month (the list is 20 authors under the age of 40 that are, or are looking to soon become, very influential in the world of Fiction) and they're going to have 1 of the remaining 12 in the regular Fiction part of the magazine for the next 12 issues. So Nicole Krauss was the first to be honored with a solo spot! 

Actually, the actual last thing I read was a Q&A that she did with the New Yorker back then (all 20 authors answered the same questions. They're all a fun read.)

And I didn't know where to place it, but I'm also listening to a Book on Tape in my car. It's called The Magicians and it's by Lev Grossman. If you like Harry Potter, but you wish that it was set in America, the kids were older and cursed more, this book is for you. I'm not sure if it's part of a series or what, but I'm liking it a lot. (Ok, I looked it up in finding that link. There's a sequel called The Magician King that came out last year.)

And that's gonna do it! Talk to you in June!

No comments: