Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Against Me!

So I'm listening to all my Against Me! albums today because I've been thinking a lot about Tom Gabel, the lead singer's announcement that he is transgender and will be living his life with his wife as a woman named Laura Jane Grace. I'm not sure if it'll be Laura Jane Grace Gabel or not, but either way, it's such a strong and brave move on her part. I was listening to the last song on their album New Wave, "The Ocean" and heard this lyric:

"If I could have chosen, I would have been born a woman.
My mother once told me she would have named me Laura.
I would grow up to be strong and beautiful like her."

Which is lovely and relatable and now has a whole added context. Tom Gabel's wikipedia page talks about this and goes on to say that Against Me! has a new song called "Transgender Dysphoria Blues".

So, go listen to some Against Me! and celebrate this brave individual.

No comments: