Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Tift Merritt "Mixtape"

So I was listening to my iPod on shuffle while cleaning up a little bit today and this song came on and it's pretty perfect, you guys. I had it on Paste Magazine Sample #63, but it's more handy to tell you about the album it's ACTUALLY from!

This is what Tift Merrit has to say about the album from which this song is taken:

"I put a note on the wall beside the desk where I was writing this record.  Direct, is what it read.  This album is a parcel of letters stowed in my pocket all along.  Ghosts came to visit this record like compasses we were unaware of pointing us in the right direction. We wanted to make something elemental: open space, grit, real strength. Direct. Two people talking honestly. We kept to ourselves in the studio like this was what we had been practicing for all along, loosely, inevitably, a wide net of openness, a pencil shaved with focus.  We drank some beers.  We made soup.  We wore roller skates.  We told the truth. We didn’t want to talk about this record.  We just wanted to play it."


I love finding musicians like this. I love knowing that musicians like this are out there. Please enjoy the song and buy her album.

Tift Merritt - Mixtape from See You On The Moon (Amazon) (iTunes) (Direct)

Here's a link to her website, too. You can find lyrics, photos, videos and lots of information about Ms. Merritt. This song is from her latest album, but she has FIVE other albums you could buy, too.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

http://tiftmerritt.net