Saturday, April 14, 2012

Notorious B.I.G. - "Things Done Changed"

So, I watched the documentary Reason and Rhyme the other night and it got me in the mood for some hip-hop. I think I listened to Wu-Tang Enter the 36 Chambers that night, but then the next day I threw on Notorious B.I.G.'s Ready to Die album because I'm not familiar with it and I sometimes find myself enjoying hip-hop that I'm not overly familiar with a little more.

Anyways, the first proper song on the album is one called "Things Done Changed" and it is mostly filled with the kind of gangsta-ish lyrics that Biggie was known for. It's a song about how things used to be a whole lot better but now everyone's violent and it's a kind of kill or be killed environment.

The song sports some great internal rhymes. I think the internal rhymes are my favorite part of Biggie's whole thing. So the song's going along and all of a sudden I hear the last 2 lines of the song and it's like everything else fell away. And I don't just mean the instrumentation. I mean all of Biggie's toughness and violence and confidence and everything! The lines are:

Shit, my momma got cancer in her breast
Don't ask me why I'm motherfucking stressed, things done changed


It's a very sobering ending. This whole album is pretty great and this is how it kicks off. Here's the video:

No comments: