Sunday, July 1, 2012

July 2012 Media Update


Do you realize we're in the 2nd half of the year now!?!?!?!? I am astounded at how fast this year is flying by. My daughter is getting bigger every day and every day her personality shines a little brighter. I'm still enjoying my job and I'm just really loving life right now!

Last Song/MP3 I listened to: I started the Gary Gulman episode of Pete Holmes's podcast "You Made It Weird" on my way to go get dinner tonight. It's so amazing to have caught up on that show. I started listening to it when I was on my....ahem, hiatus....from work and now I'm listening to episodes almost as soon as they come out. Amazing. And this podcast is SO FUNNY. I have both painfully stifled and embarrassedly not been able to stifle the raucous laughter that Mr. Holmes and his guests bring out in me. But it IS a little bit explicit, just to warn you, if you're thinking of checking it out. 

Last TV show I watched: The surprisingly hilarious and amazing Awkward. premiered its second season on Thursday night. We had various forms of preplanned and power-outage-related guests this weekend so we just got around to watching it. I heard a critic say that John Hughes's legacy lives on in this show and I very much agree. It's also one of the first shows I've watched where I identify more with the adults than the kids. So that's weird.

Last Movie I watched: One of the reasons I had that aforementioned preplanned guest was because my friend Marc wanted to come visit, see our "new" house (it's been a while since he's visited), and baby. But he also wanted to accompany me to The Avengers, which I was hesitant to go shell out the money to see alone. But he came up and we watched it (he had seen it before) and thoroughly enjoyed it. BUT then after Awkward. (see above (and the period is part of the title, which is why I keep putting it in there)) we watched the end of The Incredibles which I always forget how much I love. Jack-Jack. Man, he's awesome.

Last Written Work I read: The New Yorker kick that I mentioned in my last couple of Media Updates is still going strong. I'm in the last issue of May 2011, which, if you know how long these New Yorkers have been backing up, should be PRETTY impressive. I haven't started the Fiction in the issue ("M&M World" by Kate Walbert), though, so that means that the last written work I read was in the "Briefly Noted" section, which has 4 one-paragraph reviews. So the last book reviewed in this issue's section was The Color of Night by Madison Smartt Bell. And it doesn't really seem like the kind of book I'd be into.

And that's it! Have a great July everyone! Some wonderful people were born in July!

No comments: