Monday, June 13, 2011

King Post Kitsch Review: The Party's Over and I'm Sad

I'm writing this on Monday, June 13. And as I'm writing, I'm sad. It's because I made a pact with myself almost two weeks ago and I'm really planning to stick to it.

Matthew from Song, By Toad and Song, By Toad Records sent me a review copy of the new King Post Kitsch album The Party's Over (which, as it happens, comes out TODAY!). It's an album, that I've been looking forward to hearing since he played "Walking on Eggshells" back in January. I downloaded it and put it on my iPod on June 2nd, telling myself that, rather than just saying, "How awesome is it that I got is album I was intending to buy, absolutely free!", I would give myself two weeks to listen and review and fall in love with it and then I would erase it from my hard drive. That way, I'd go through withdrawal and NEED to buy it for my birthday, as I and been intending.

And my plan worked. I am absolutely head over heels in love with this damn album. Everything I liked about the EP's is here in spades. I think the best exampe of what I'm talking about is the transition from Track 2 ("Don't You Touch My Fucking Honeytone") to Track 3 ("Fante's Last Stand"). The former is a rocker the likes of which I haven't heard since I was first listening to Arctic Monkeys and the latter is a song that wouldn't be out of place as a soundtrack for lying in a field picking out cloud shapes. They SHOULD feel totally out of place being played back to back. But that's not how King Post Kitsch rolls.
KPK is all about the "what could possibly come next?" factor. And that's why I love this album and why I'll be playing it hard for the last three days of my review period and why I'll be ordering it and the "Don't You Touch My Fucking Honeytone" 7" as soon as it isossoble to justify it as a "birthday purchase".

King Post Kitsch - Fante's Last Stand from The Party's Over (BUY!)

2 comments:

Tricia said...

I just ordered my copy today. I cannot wait to play the album. The ep was complete magic, I agree.

James! said...

I'm going to order them as a bundle in July. It's absolutely killing me that I have to wait til then to have my claws on both of them. Let's just say the EPs will be getting some heavy rotation form the next month!