Friday, August 5, 2011

Providence can provide. Providence will provide. Providence did provide.

So, I know I come off as this big, tough, Alternative Rock guy. Like "Hey man, Kurt Cobain forever." And in many ways, I am that guy.

But in many other ways, I'm just a big pop-punk kid. I like the beats fast, the melodies sweet, the songs about relationships, and if you can throw in some breaks in the song where we can all jump in the air and land on the beat where the music comes back in, that would be super.

So, I would generally contend that the best pop-punk was made around the turn of the millennium, with New Found Glory, Blink-182, Green Day,  and Drive-Thru Records (which is the label NFG were on, and I already mentioned them. I know. Relax.) having HUGE releases. And that's only the tip of the iceberg.

I recently made my friend Lisa a mix of all the pop-punk bands I could think of. I rounded it off at 50. I'm hoping it fits on 2 discs.

What does all this have to do with Providence? Glad you asked.

Providence, Rhode Island is the birthplace of the most exciting pop-punk band I've heard in years: The Jesse Minute. They have all the qualities that I mentioned before and what's more, they have a female lead singer, so I can ask them to be on the Wayne Foundation comp (which I've already done...they said yes!!!)!

The thing that I keep thinking about The Jesse Minute is that they are what I'm always hoping Paramore will be. Missa, the singer, has a lovely voice, but (and here's where I come off as insensitive) she doesn't feel the need to showcase it in ballads that frankly take away from the rock. And the product is delicious. I want these guys to come to Virginia soon so I can be all nuts at the front of the crowd.

They have two studio albums and a live album available for FREE at their bandcamp page. And then if you go to their website, you can get physical copies of all three albums, some stickers, some pins and a t-shirt for just $25. Which is an insanely good deal, but that's just how Providence, RI rolls.

The Jesse Minute - Rally from Shut Up and Play

No comments: