Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Guest review of Countdown tracks!

While I was in the hospital helping my wife have the baby (read: trying to keep out of everyone's way), I asked my friend Andy to write up his reactions to the songs that have been on our countdown over the past couple of weeks. I initially gave him the order of the songs as they appeared on the countdown, but since that has changed a bit over the last couple of weeks, I put them in alphabetical order by band name.

I'd like to do this occasionally. If you'd be interested in being on the list of people willing and able to give their impressions of 10 or so songs, leave me a comment or shoot me an email!

And now, without any further ado (I say this so often, but never type it...it's fun to type!), here's Andy!

Let's start off by saying that I don't listen to that much modern
rock, so I was pretty much hearing most of these songs for the first
time when writing this post.

30 Seconds to Mars - Closer to the Edge
I hated Jared Leto's acting career. But I'm loving his work with 30
Seconds to Mars. This latest album is the most polished I've ever
heard them. And this song makes me want to jump in the air and never
land.

The Black Keys - Tighten Up
The Black Keys have a distinct vocal sound. It's definitely one that
grows on you.

Cage the Elephant - Shake Me Down
Everyone's been raving about Cage the Elephant and now I can see why.
This song is very catchy and makes me want to sing along.

Cake - Sick of You
Cake continues their trend of light hearted fun rock music and even
their new stuff reminds me of 1998.

Florence + the Machine - Dog Days are Over
Quite a lovely song is all I can say about this track.

Kings of Leon - Radioactive
For some reason, I can't think of Kings of Leon anymore without
thinking about the bird that crapped in the lead singer's mouth at a
show. I'm not a huge fan of this song, but it is kind of catchy.

Linkin Park - Waiting For the End
I remember when Linkin Park was simply a hip-hop/rock fusion band.
They've changed over the years and now they apparently sound like 311.
Not a fan of the direction they're going in, but hopefully something
new and exciting comes out of it.

Muse - Undisclosed Desires
Muse is going to become the Radiohead of this generation.

My Chemical Romance - Sing
I'm glad My Chemical Romance has stopped screaming for an entire song
and worked on creating harmonies and catchy songs

Neon Trees - Animal
I've been in love with this sick ever since I first heard it back on
Record Store Day. James tells me this album is one of the best he's
hard in the past year. I have still yet to listen to the whole thing,
but he's usually a good judge of music.

Sick Puppies - Maybe
I really like the message of this song - breaking out doing something
on your own even though you're scared of what will happen. Very
uplifting and hits a personal note with me at this moment.






3 comments:

Erin said...

My offer of a Bon Jovi/BSB-themed guest post still stands, if you ever get truly desperate ;)

And I will tell you, to my knowledge, I have not heard a single song in this post. I have heard some of the bands (6 of 11! that's more than half!), but not those particular songs. So it's probably a good thing you got Andy to write this post instead of letting me goad you into giving it to me to write ;)

James! said...

If i told you that the songs tend to be available on previous countdown episodes, would you be interested? It would be awesome to get your take on the songs. Maybe in the summer we'll do that

Also, which six had you heard of?

Erin said...

It's mostly just that I'm really lazy when it comes to listening to music. I don't even bother to turn on the radio in the car most of the time because no station ever plays two songs in a row that I like enough to not change the station. Even on my iPod, I skip around all the time.

However, it might be interesting (and potentially offend your entire readership!) for you to give me a playlist and have me blog my thoughts on each song. It would be particularly interesting if you didn't tell me the bands, and see if I could identify them on my own (ha). Then you could tell me what the bands were and see if that changes my reaction to the songs.

I had heard of 30 Seconds to Mars, Cake (one band that I'm pretty much guaranteed to like most of their stuff, because it all sounds the same to me so if I like one, I'll like them all!), Kings of Leon (whom I do not care for, for reasons I don't really know ... much like the Killers), Linkin Park, Muse, MCR (which I only really know of because of my brother ... he once made me watch a video by them that had a dead bride or ballerina or something in it. I couldn't identify them if I heard them on the radio, I don't think.)

Longest comment EVER.