Saturday, August 1, 2015

August 2015 Media Update





Last Thing I Watched: I started watching The X Files towards the end of the month and I watched a bunch as the evening turned from July to August. The one that I was PROBABLY watching when it hit midnight was one called "Shadows" which was about a poltergeist! Scary stuff. But also hilariously outdated 1993 technology.



Last Thing I Read: The last TWO things I read were actually reading out loud. Lila and I are working our way through Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone and we've both been enjoying that.

And then, to help my wife get to sleep last night, I read to her a page or two from the book she's reading: Grey by E.L. James, which is Fifty Shades of Grey from the perspective of the guy in the book instead of the girl.


Last Thing I Listened To: I am ashamed to say that I don't know what exactly was the last thing I listened to in July. I know that I finished Bookends by Simon & Garfunkel and then turned on the Sirius XM. And then I finished driving to meet the wife and kids for dinner. And then I drove the kids and myself home. But I don't know what was playing as we pulled up to the house. So this is the last thing I definitely remember hearing. I remember being kind of blown away by its rawness.

Tommy James and the Shondells "Hanky Panky"


Things I'm Seeing on the Internet: I'm going to talk about two things that I've been seeing a lot of because the first one is super depressing for a number of reasons.



Lots of people are still really invested in the Cecil the Lion story, where a dentist went to Africa and shot and killed what was, apparently a beloved lion with a name and everything. I have to admit I don't know all the details of this story, but hunting for sport seems pretty silly to me.

 The other thing I've been seeing all over Facebook is this sketch from Key and Peele where teachers are treated to SportsCenter-esque attention. I haven't watched it yet (I intend to watch it right after posting) but I love pretty much everything K&P put out, so I have high hopes.

No comments: