Monday, July 28, 2008

A More Creative Title Perhaps? (More Voting, Random Thoughts, Mixes)

Perhaps not.

I've reached another point in my blogging where I am a bit behind and so I have all these things that I want to talk about and they're just overloading me and then I don't blog so they build up more and more and more. So I'm going to attempt to get them all down. Or at least most of them.

Round 1F!!!

1.The Beatles vs. Taking Back Sunday

The Beatles - I've Got a Feeling from Let It Be

Taking Back Sunday - Spin from Louder Now

2. Lagwagon vs. The Ataris

Lagwagon - Automatic from Resolve
The Ataris - Not Capable of Love from Welcome the Night


In other news, I've been making and receiving lots of mixes from all over the world. I guess this salvo began with Andy coming up for a visit bearing the latest installment in a series of mixes we've been doing for a year or so.
Here's a song from that:
The Decemberists - Oceanside
I also received a mix from Wayne as part of Anna's Mix CD exchange. The theme this time was "Sub 3-minute songs" and Wayne's mix was eclectic and yet it fit together like a jigsaw puzzle.

Here's a song from that:

The Housemartins - Happy Hour

and here's a song that quotes that song and I never knew it!

Barenaked Ladies - Hello City from Gordon


And then I received not one, but TWO mixes from Anna which are both based on Lost (one a little more than the other) which is just amazing and it made me want to skip out on work and just go home and watch Lost DVD's

A song for waking up in the hatch. :)
Mama Cass Elliot - Make Your Own Kind of Music

Oh, also, I got a USB record player and have, so far, ripped two LP's and I'm fairly pleased. The second album, Sly and the Family Stone's Fresh was rather frustrating because it has all these little hops in it that I didn't notice when it was recording (because I was in the other room...)

But here's a song that isn't bad.

Sly and the Family Stone - In Time from Fresh


And finally, you should go check out The Hold Steady and My Morning Jacket's new albums:

The Hold Steady - Ask Her For Adderall from Stay Positive
My Morning Jacket - Aluminum Park from Evil Urges

5 comments:

Greer said...

Hi james,

1. Taking Back Sunday

2. The Ataris

I had not heard Happy Hour in YEARS!! You just totally made my day.

You also got me to go down to the garage and unearth my New Radicals CD- I'd forgotten how great that one is.

James! said...

Hi Greer!

First of all, you completely defied my expectations of what you were going to vote for. I just made a little bet with myself before I opened your comment email. And I was way wrong. Way to keep me guessing!

Second, I am so pleased to have made your day! It makes my day to have done so!

And finally, that New Radicals CD IS great. In fact, I would contend that "You Get What You Give" is one of the weaker songs.

Concrete Circles said...

1. The Beatles
2. The Ataris

1F? Are we ever going to get to Round 2?

Oh, and thanks for the shout out. Those are a lot of mixes!

Natsthename said...

I can't believe I'm saying this, but Taking Back Sunday over The Beatles (that's not one of my favorite Beatles tunes at all!)

Lagwagon! You a fan? I really like that band!

I used to go nuts trying to figure out where I heard "it's happy hour again" before in that BNL song. DUH! It finally dawned on me!

James! said...

Andy - I know I already told you this in person, but just for the benefit of other readers, there are two more pairs of match-ups in round 1. and then, of course, round 2 will be half as long.

Nat - I was SURE that the Beatles were going to stomp TBS, no matter what I put up there, but I seem to have been mistaken. Also, yes I love Lagwagon! How did you first hear about them?