Friday, July 4, 2008

CP B-sides, Voting Reminder, An Ear-catching Song

...But not in that order necessarily.

First, I just wanted everyone to scroll down two entries and vote for in the Battle of the Bands. There's a tie right now and I'd really like to resolve it before moving on. So come on. Vote!

One of my favorite things about having my iPod on shuffle while i'm at work all day is having a song catch my ear and make me stop what i'm doing to listen. At first, I thought this song (which has "Colin" written all over it. So I assume I got it from him. Possibly in the 2007 wrap-up mix?) was a Christmas song, but it's not. It's just that first little bit that sounds like "Christmas (Baby Please Come Home)." And then it's just so catchy and the climax comes and it just sends tingles up and down my spine. And I love the Scottish accent (another reason I'm thinking Colin). The version I have says it's a "Home Tapes" version. Does anyone know how much the version that was released this year differs?

Glasvegas - It's My Own Cheating Heart That Makes Me Cry (Home Tapes Version)

Finally, another episode of CP B-Sides!!!

This week on the Contrast Podcast, the theme was Hot! Hot! Hot! and when I submitted my song two weeks ago, we were in the middle of a heat wave, so, without hesitation, I submitted:

Squirrel Nut Zippers - Hell from Hot

but I briefly considered submitting:

Sly & the Family Stone - Hot Fun in the Summertime from Greatest Hits

which I just love and which gives me nostalgia for an era (The 70's) which I never lived but love nonetheless.

So that's it! Happy 4th of July everyone!

3 comments:

James! said...

I just realized that all 3 of those songs start very similarly. Weird.

Rick said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rick said...

Hi, James. I love that song from The Zippers - it's probably what I would have submitted myself had I been up to the task. Plus, Squirrel Nut Zippers has to be in the top 5 coolest names for a band of all time. Kudos.

Cheers,
WRE