Thursday, July 9, 2009

Where Have I Been?

Well, I haven't been getting much exercise in since I last posted.

That's mostly because I lost my job. They called me in, said there was not enough work and that they were letting me go. Seems kind of fishy that, as far as I have been able to ascertain, I was one of only three people let go. But regardless of any unspoken motives, I have a paper saying that I'm awesome and that I was leaving in good standing. So I've been trying not to dwell on any paranoia that comes with this sort of thing.

I'm trying to treat this as an opportunity to get a better-paying, less-frustrating job that doesn't feel like a sinking ship. (I did get to dodge the bullet of having to be present for the apparently excruciating audit that they went through a week after I left. They knew it was coming and everything, it's just that only a couple of people were actually preparing for it. So I'm glad that I didn't have to go through that!)

(Perhaps that last parenthetical bit should have gotten its own un-parenthetical paragraph...)

So, yeah. If you know of any jobs in the DC/Metro area that a chemist with laboratory experience would be good at, let me know!

Also, if you are in the music industry and you want to pay someone, like, $50,000 a year to go to shows and write about them, let me know, too. I can do that. If you need a writing sample, I'm going to Warped Tour on the 14th, so I could whip something up about that.

I have a couple of songs that bands have sent me that I want to post, but I'm going to save that for another post when we can all focus on the sheer funkiness of the one and the quiet reflection of the other. Intrigued? Stay tuned.

7 comments:

adam said...

Good luck, James, and if you possibly can then try to find ways to enjoy your fallow time. I was laid off three weeks before my first daughter was born - it turned into a holiday at home with her when she was first around, and then something else workwise came along, it usually does.... Take care.

James! said...

Thanks, Adam. I'm trying to find a balance between job-hunting and the decompression I was craving at my old job. It's tough, but ultimately doable, I think.

Now if I could just start hearing back from employers!

Greer said...

I've been thinking of you James and I agree, even though it's stressful try not to drive yourself crazy with the job search. This could be the perfect time for a Buffy marathon :).

Best of luck to you.

adam said...

Yes! Listen to her! She knows what she's talking about!

Natsthename said...

Oh goodness. I hope you find something without too much struggle. Lots of luck! (and, by the way, your sense of humor will come in handy!)

James! said...

Greer - I want to watch Buffy, but I need to find someone to use...er....befriend that owns them. If I can get my wife to get into it, we could Netflix it...

Adam - You and Greer should come hang at my place and watch Buffy all day and all night!

Nat - Thanks for your words of encouragement. I'm hoping to hear back from SOMEONE soon! Any interview or something of that caliber would make me feel like I'm making progress

adam said...

Clickety-Click