Sunday, August 10, 2008

Shout outs and 1988!

Ok, so I often assign myself epic projects. I've assigned myself the task of listening to, watching, and reading all of the Albums of the Year, Best Pictures, and Pultizer Prize for Fiction winners, respectively from the year I was born on, for instance.

Well the most recent epic project I've assigned myself is to collect all of the songs that have reached Number One on Billboard's Hot Modern Rock Tracks Chart. When I started, I had about half, and I'm well on my way, through the use of iTunes and friends and family.

But the Internet is a wonderful wonderful place where you can, with a little effort, find almost anything. I couldn't find a particular song (posted below) on iTunes and I didn't know anyone that would have it. So I went on The Hype Machine and searched the track and I saw a blog that I've seen many places before on various blogs I read: The Vinyl District. Not only is this a fantastic blog where the merits and wonders of Vinyl Music are shouted from the rooftops, but they also happen to be based out of Washington D.C., a short drive from where I live! Please check them out. You won't be disappointed! So, I'd like to whole-heartedly thank Jon from The Vinyl District for his generous and speedy aid in my randomly assigned, all-consuming, epic project! There may be other songs that I just can't find. And you can bet that I'll be scouring the Internet to find them. In fact, does anyone have "Dirty Blvd." by Lou Reed? iTunes only has live versions.

Julian Cope - Charlotte Anne from My Nation Underground (It's from 1988. That's why the title.)

5 comments:

Natsthename said...

That really IS an epic project! Are you making it a playlist or something?

Natsthename said...

and check your email...

James! said...

Nat - 1) You rule. I was just thinking this morning about how I was EVER going to get the Lou Reed track.

2) Yeah, I actually have playlists of albums that have reached #1, songs that have reached #1 on the hot 100, and also this. i'm thinking about burning them to cd when i get them all, but i don't know...

3) Did I mention you rule?

Eiron Page said...

I'm a bit slow on the uptake, but I'd like to let you know I *could* of been of assistance in this instance and would have gladly obliged. Maybe next time, eh?

James! said...

Eiron - Don't you worry. I'm sure there are more tracks that I'm going to need help acquiring!