Thursday, April 24, 2008

I'm so excited!

Ok so I was super stoked when I received an email from the artist I'm about to talk about. One of the things I was hoping for when I started this blog was that bands and musicians would start to send me their stuff to listen to and talk about. Well, it's begun. I hope it doesn't end here.

The artist's name is Alan Wilkis and he's made an album called "Babies Dream Big". It's one of the few times in my life that I've pressed play at the beginning of an album and had almost no idea of what to expect. He described his album like this:

"The album does a fair amount of genre-hopping, but it's pretty firmly rooted in 70s - 80s soul, electronic, and soft rock music, and it features a few special guests: Jason Treuting of So Percussion and Eric Biondo of Antibalas."

So, I'm all about the genre hopping and he's very true to his word. You know the Beck album Midnite Vultures? Certain parts of this album feel like the lost sequel to that album. Other parts feel like Ben Folds when he's feeling particularly funky. Genre-hopping indeed. Oh, and this is pretty much specific to Nat from Mini-Obs. The song "Astronaut (Would You Be One?)" is something maybe you should check out. I'm no expert, but I think it's pretty psychedelic. "Far out", you might say. I don't recall your opinions on Pink Floyd, but this sounds like really early Pink Floyd stuff.

So you see? It's something for everyone on "Babies Dream Big"

Here's what I mean

Alan Wilkis - Bad Mamma Jamma
Alan Wlkis - In My Dreams
Alan Wilkis - Astronaut (Would You Be One?)

Here's the link to more info about the album
Here's his myspace

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really liked this album. Milk & Cookies is my favorite.

It's nice to be asked to listen to an artist's stuff, isn't it? Watch out. Everyone in the world will be contacting you soon.

Greer said...

Hi James, I like 'Midnight Vultures' and Ben Folds when he isn't too slow, so I was excited to check this out and I listened to the mySpace songs last night... really good, thanks for the tip!