Friday, May 2, 2014

One Year, 100 Albums: #17 New Found Glory "Sticks and Stones"


New Found Glory Sticks and Stones, 2002

I would say that New Found Glory are the seminal pop-punk band of my life. They were the first band that played this kind of music where I loved it and jumped around to it and wanted more, more more!

The summer that this album came out, they put the first single, "My Friends Over You" on a Drive-Thru Records sampler that you got if you purchased the Something Corporate Audioboxer EP. Which I happily did. The song was so good and I was so excited.

And then it came out. And it was good. But like almost all of the albums on this list, it took me a little bit to get into. The songs weren't as immediate as the ones on the self-titled album that preceded it (Reason: These songs are more complex).

But now, of course, I look at it as a classic. It's one of maybe 4 albums I would give someone who was interested in the pop-punk genre. In fact, I can't think of any time I've heard someone who likes the genre having a bad word to say about it. So this one is kind of a no-brainer.

I'm listening to it as I type and bouncing in my seat. If I wouldn't look RIDICULOUS, I would get up and jump around. MAN, I love this album.

Here's a video for the song "Head On Collision" done by the Troma people that did movies like Toxic Avenger and stuff. This song is also where the band All Time Low got their name!


New Found Glory - My Friends Over You
New Found Glory - The Great Houdini

You can buy Sticks and Stones at Amazon, Amazon MP3, and iTunes

No comments: