Sunday, August 19, 2012

New Countdown, Old Bonus Segment

This week I resurrect a bonus song concept that I bet you'd forgotten! But, then again, you probably don't live your life with bonus song concepts floating around in your head. Or do you?!?!

No hunky teen TV star this week (Sorry Erin, but I can have you EXPECTING it, you know?) just pure, unadulterated, genre-ally hazy Alternative Songs!

Countdown #116

***Featuring***
Alex Clare
The Black Keys
fun.
Green Day
Grouplove
Imagine Dragons
The Killers
Linkin Park
The Lumineers
Of Monsters and Men

1 comment:

Mess Kit said...

I love your energy in the last two count-downs. I'm not sure if it's the new lap-top or new energy...

I want to say two things in reference to August 19: First of all, I don't think much at all of Green Day's new "hit." It seems to me a thinnly disguised effort to make the song "It's Alright Now" by Bad Company (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zuy7VwbfkdY) and I'm sorry, but did he say his heart is "on a noose?" Since when is anything "on a noose?" Yikes!
Okay -- and about the radio cutting off the auto-tune from Fun's song: I think the DJ's embarrassment about that use of the autotune shows his lagging behind in contemporary art. A really fine artist takes exactly what seems "tacky" or "middle-brow" and uses it to make a new layer, uses it to new effect. I think you were right when you said that the autotune was a great example of form being an extension of content. The mention of "terrible lies" happens at the moment of computer-manipulated voice. I thought that was a profound observation. More on that later. Hope you can bear with my strong opinions. Want another one? Don't think much of Alex G. Muertos either. It sounds like he can't decide whether to be the Black Keys or Ricky Martin. :) Keep these great podcasts coming!